9 But there was a man named Simon, who had previously practised magic in the city and amazed the people of Samaria, saying that he himself was somebody great. 10 They all paid attention to him, from the least to the greatest, saying, “This man is the power of God that is called Great.” 11 And they paid attention to him because for a long time he had amazed them with his magic. 12 But when they believed Philip as he preached good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Even Simon himself believed, and after being baptized he continued with Philip. And seeing signs and great miracles performed, he was amazed.
14 Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit. 18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, 19 saying, “Give me this power also, so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” 20 But Peter said to him, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money! 21 You have neither part nor lot in this matter, for your heart is not right before God. 22 Repent, therefore, of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart may be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bond of iniquity.” 24 And Simon answered, “Pray for me to the Lord, that nothing of what you have said may come upon me.”
25 Now when they had testified and spoken the word of the Lord, they returned to Jerusalem, preaching the gospel to many villages of the Samaritans.
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Simon was able to recognise that there was a power greater than the magic he could perform. Arrogance and popularity could have blinded him to seeing this.
- The good news preached by Philip did not come with special effects, simply the truth spoken about the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus led Simon to believe and be baptised.
- It appears that Simon had the right intentions (only God knows), but being a new believer there was much to learn. His magician background may have led him to think that he needed to pay for the secret to be revealed. The apostles rebuked Simon for thinking he could obtain the Holy Spirit with money.
- Simon’s understanding of the Holy Spirit was clearly wrong and he asked the apostle to pray for him that his hearts evil intent would be forgiven.
- Such things as bad habits, weaknesses, emotional hurts, addictions, wrong ideas and views, don’t just disappear the moment we accept Jesus as our Saviour. God works in us to help us let go of these and to grow in knowledge of His truth. But we must be humble and willing enough to allow Him.
submitted by Kiet Van
PRAYING IN FAITH
Pray that you would be humble enough to depend on God and not in your own abilities
For your five
Pray for your 5 to grow in humility, in so doing depend more on God and not on themselves
For our church
Pray that church is where all people are accepted, we may not know their true intentions, only God does, but pray for wisdom for guiding them in the truth.