- v3. Jesus spent those 40 days teaching and proving himself to the disciples. So that there would be no doubt that Jesus had resurrected.
- v.5 Jesus is promising a baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is pretty amazing, because up until now, people have only thought about baptism with water – and for forgiveness of sins. But Jesus is promising something completely different. Baptism of the Holy Spirit – in a sense, being completely immersed in the Holy Spirit! Cool!
- v.6 The disciples are still looking for the arrival of an earthly kingdom. But I love how Jesus says that it’s not for them to know the times or the seasons that God has fixed. The disciples are focused on a point – a kingdom. But Jesus responds with the reality that God is doing a “work” across a period of “time” – and we can trust him in that.
- v.8 “power” – the promise is that as disciples, we will receive “power.” What is that power? It’s authority given to us through the Holy Spirit. In many ways, the Holy Spirit marks us as believers – it’s the seal of his Kingly authority in our lives.
- v11 “why do you stand looking into heaven?” The angels ask the disciples why they are still standing around. It’s as if, we shouldn’t just be standing and waiting for Christ’s return – but we should live life for Him.
Praying in Faith
Ask God to immerse you in His Spirit this week – reminding you daily that you are His child and have His authority and power!
For Your Five
Pray for your five, asking God to open their eyes to know that Jesus is alive.
For Our Church
Pray that God might lead our church to seeing how we are to be his witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth.